After making these delectable Chocolate Doughnuts I was waiting for my husband to get home from work. So I was watching “The BEST thing I ever ate,” on my favorite show Food Network (of course). Shortly after the show was over my husband got home, and I gave him a doughnut I had made… his eyes then rolled back and after a few minutes he yelled, “This is the best doughnut I’ve ever had! The best thing I’ve ever eaten!” I just had to giggle because I was just previously watching that fun show. So anyways, here is what could be one of the BEST things you ever eat as well!
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 large organic eggs
3/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
2-4 cups canola oil for frying
1/2 cup powdered sugar to coat
1. In a bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sea salt then whisk together well.
2. In another bowl stir together the sugar, melted butter, eggs and buttermilk. Then, add the mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
3. Prepare a brown paper bag by filling it with the powdered sugar.
4. Heat the oil to about 375 degrees F.
5. Using an ice cream scoop, drop dollops of doughnut batter into the hot oil. Only a few at a time. Do not over crowd the pot. Fry for about 2 minutes on each side or until the doughnuts are browned and crispy.
6. Take the doughnuts out and immediately put into the paper bag and shake to coat each doughnut.
Serve right away!