In this recipe Chocolate and Key Lime come together beautifully! Angel Cake got it’s name because of its airy lightness is said to be the “food of the angels.” This recipe in a cake-lover’s prayer.
1/4 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
2 Tablespoons Arrowrroot Powder
1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
5 Egg Whites
1/2 teaspoon Key Lime, zest
4 Tablespoons Mascarpone Cheese
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Key Lime Juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, arrowroot powder, and salt together a few times.
2. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until foamy and continue to whisk until soft peaks form.
3. Add the sugar to the egg whites a spoonful at a time, whisking after each addition. Sift a third of the four and cocoa mixture over the meringue and gently fold in. Repeat twice or more.
4. Spoon the mixture into a ring mold or a pie pan (that is what I do.) Bake for 35 minutes, or until springy when lightly pressed. Turn upside-down on to a wire rack and leave to cool in the pan. Carefully ease out of the tin. Then, after it has cooled I use a small circle cutter and punch out “bite size” circles.
5. To make the topping, mix 1/2 cup of Homemade Whipped Cream, mascarpone cheese, key lime juice and sugar. Spread how much topping you would like on each bite. Top with some lime and chocolate zest.