Organic Dog Biscuits “Mambo Italiano”

So my darling husband was at Barns n Noble the other day and can home with a prize for me.. not necessarily for me, but for our French Bulldog. It the “Organic Dog Biscuit Cookbook from the Bubba Rose Biscuit Company.” Its an all organic doggie treat cookbook! It came with 3 cookie cutters and for this “Mambo Italiano,” I chose to use the dog bone shape. Doggies deserve yummy organic treats too 😉

Organic Ingredients

3/4 Cup Oat Flour

3/4 Cup Brown Rice Flour

3oz Tomato Paste

1/4 Cup Fresh Mozzarella, Finely Chopped

1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

1/2 teaspoon Rosemary

1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano

1/2 teaspoon Dried Basil

1 Egg



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

COmbine all ingredients and mix throughly until a dough forms. *If the dough is to dry add 1 Tablespoon of water.* Roll the dough out a lightly floured surface to 1/4″ thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes on an ungreased cookie sheet (they can be close together as they don’t spread while cooking).

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

“Bone” Appétit!


12 common foods that are harmful to dogs

I found this information on and I felt that it was necessary to share with all those whom own and  love doggies.

12 common foods that are harmful to dogs

My Doggie Model: Le Beau Desmet

1. Xylitol

Xylitol is a sugar substitute found in sugar-free cookies, mints and chewing gum, which has been proven highly toxic, even fatal, to dogs.

“It doesn’t take a whole lot (of xylitol), and the effects are so rapid that the window of opportunity to treat the dog is extremely small.” – Dana Farbman, spokeswoman for the Animal Poison Control Center of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in an interview with USA Today.

I was in Seoul when the news about Xylitol is used mostly in cookies, candies, cupcakes and other sweets developed for people who have diabetes. It’s more popular outside the United States but it’s now being used more and more in a variety of products such as Jello sugar-free puddings and a wide assortment of sugar-free gums, including Trident, Orbit, Stride, Icebreakers and Altoids.

2. Chocolates

You have heard about chocolate so many times before but what’s in them that makes them so harmful? Chocolate contains theobromine, a stimulant found in the cocoa bean that can adversely affect the heart and nervous system when ingested in huge amounts. How huge is huge? A small piece of chocolate may not have any effect but gorging on a pound of dark chocolate may result in vomiting, diarrhea, elevated heart rate, and even seizures.

Here is a great link that shows how much chocolate of each kind is potentially harmful based on the weight of your dog.

Caffeine, likewise, is potentially unsafe for dogs. Like theobromine in chocolate, high levels of caffeine can adversely affect the nervous system and so keep your coffee, coffee grounds, coffee beans, caffeinated tea, and caffeinated soda away from your pooch.

3. Bones

recent study published by the FDA warns that chewing on bones, like ham and chicken bones, may cause serious injury and even death.

“Some people think it’s safe to give dogs large bones, like those from a ham or a roast,” Carmela Stamper, DVM, a veterinarian in the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine, says in an FDA Consumer Update. “Bones are unsafe no matter what their size. Giving your dog a bone may make your pet a candidate for a trip to your veterinarian’s office later, possible emergency surgery, or even death.” – Bill Hendricks WebMD Health News

The study lists ten reasons bones should be tossed in the trash, which include broken teeth, mouth injuries, constipation, and bones being stuck in your dog’s esophagus, windpipe, stomach and intestines. The study also talks about peritonitis, a hard-to-treat bacterial infection of the abdomen, caused by bone fragments poking holes in the dog’s stomach or intestines. Left untreated, peritonitis is fatal.

4. Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins contain an unknown toxin to dogs that can cause severe kidney failure, severe vomiting, diarrhea, and even death.

5. Avocado

Avocados contain a toxic fatty acid derivative known as persin, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death when consumed in large quantities.

6. Onions, Garlic, Chives

Cats are probably more sensitive to onion toxicity than dogs. Onion, garlic, and chives can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage. Pet food and treats may contain low doses and will not cause any harm but it is best to keep these vegetables away from your dog.

7. Alcohol

Alcoholic beverages and alcohol-containing food products can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, difficulty breathing, coma, and even death.

8. Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts can cause macadamia nut toxicosis marked by extreme lethargy and weakness within 12 hours of ingestion.

9. Yeast Dough

Yeast dough can rise and cause gas to accumulate in your dog’s digestive system.  This can result in serious gas pains and can possibly even cause the stomach or intestines to rupture. Small pieces of bread are fine as treats as long as the dough is cooked and the yeast has fully risen. However, the ASPCArecommends that bread treats should not constitute more than 5 to 10% of your dog’s caloric intake.

10. Raw and Undercooked Meat and Raw Eggs

Raw meat and raw eggs can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli that can be very harmful to your dogs.  Raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin that decreases the absorption of a B vitamin called biotin, which can lead to skin and coat problems.

11. Salt

Small amounts of salt are actually safely used to induce vomiting in dogs but salt ingested in large amounts can cause excessive thirst and urination, sodium ion poisoning, and kidney failure.  Signs of too much salt consumption are vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death.


Because dogs and cats do not have enough levels of lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk, milk and other milk-based products can cause vomiting and severe diarrhea.